Special Notice: Post 44’s June Newsletter is fresh off the press. Feel free to download the (.pdf)!Post44-June-2016
Remember that Memorial Day is only a week away! After the services, come back to the Post for hot dogs and Beer! AND Mike Hatounian will be playing his patriotic music for us.
A message from your Commander:
It is truly a great honor to serve as the leader of such a fine and historic organization. Please accept my thanks for your support as we move forward through this coming year.
Allow me to share a brief look at my “vision statement”. This is a high-level set of priorities that I think we need to get behind to succeed as a Legion family. They interrelate and are not in any order of priority:
- Economic stability of the Post and Club
- Increased volunteerism
- Increased focus on the fraternal aspects of the Post
- More support for Veteran’s causes
- More delegation of authority
- More specific accountability for major events and projects
- Improved support for the Honor Guard
- Better alignment of messages across all channels
- More transparency of decision making
– Rodger Wells
We are in great need of the following:
|Committee workers – Programs, Fund raising, Veteran support programs, Honor Guard
If you can help the Post, contact the Commander or any officer!
Update on Post 44’s Financial Situation:
Thanks to everyone at the special 12 May General meeting, we have amended our Constitution and By-Laws to allow the Post leadership to enter into loans to help us through the summer. Several members and friends have responded and have taken us out of the immediate situation we were in. However, we must constantly look for more business and other ways to stabilize our financial situation.
To facilitate an Endowment fund, Post 44 is considering a working agreement with a national charitable foundation to facilitate major gifts that may be given to Post 44. This program will look to gifts of appreciated assets: real estate, stocks, businesses or artwork that will face capital gains taxes when sold. When sold through Post 44, all capital gains taxes and commissions are waived and the post receives a cash gift. A very large tax deduction and an annuity is given the donor also.
These donation sales could prove to be very valuable to members who have or are forming or rethinking an Estate Plan. If you feel you might be interested in discussing this in more detail, contact the Post office.
Upcoming events in May – click on the Calendar link to the left for all events:
- Oldies but Goodies Rock and Roll – Friday May 27th, featuring Randy Thomas, music of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Costume and dance contests.
- Memorial Day – Post 44 will be one of the participants in the Memorial Day observance May 30th, Camelback Cemetery 8am followed by a ceremony at Scottsdale’s Civic Plaza at 10am
- Flag Day Ceremony – As always on June 14th, there will be a Flag Day ceremony in our parking lot.
- Live music Fridays and Saturdays, click here for schedule
- Sunday Brunch served from 10 am to 1 pm each Sunday.
- Bingo on Mondays beginning at 3 pm
- Tuesday Queen of Hearts drawing at 6:30
- Karaoke Tuesdays from 6 – 9 pm with pause for Queen of Hearts drawing.
- Bar Bingo every Thursday starting at 6:30, usually goes to 8:30 pm